Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Albright Students on Gay Marriage: Sign of Progress?



After more than a decade of struggle, in March, gay rights made one more step of progression when marriage for same-sex couples became legal in the nation's capital. Washington D.C. joined New Hampshire, Iowa, Massachusetts, Vermont and Connecticut in providing a welcome-mat for gay couples that wish to marry. These states are distinguished from the several states that offer civil unions to gay couples which do not offer all of the rights that marriage does.


This recent victory has not only fueled the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered) community to fight harder to have gay marriage legalized in more regions of the country, but, it has only strengthened the debate over the legalization of gay marriage in America.


The victory has two indications. One, that America is changing and shifting toward a more “gay-friendly” society. The other is that Americans are clearly not on the same page when it comes to the issue, with proof being the fact that there are still 20 states that have not yet made gay marriage lawful. Despite the direction that America is making, it is definite that Americans are still divided on the issue.

This division of views has a strong existence within the Albright student body as well.


“I support gay marriage because I believe that all people who are in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together should,” freshman Alysha Bellamy confidently proclaims. “Homosexuals are human too and deserve the same rights as everyone else.”


Senior Louis Yurkovic, president of Albright’s Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA), agrees with Bellamy’s sentiments about equal rights for gay people. “If straight people can be married and it’s recognized by the state, then gay people should too. If we don’t, then we are separate but equal which isn’t the way this country works.”


Though, Bellamy and Yurkovic represent Albright students in favor of gay marriage, there are others who support the “traditional” definition of marriage. Sophomore Andy Johnson* feels that the term “marriage” applies exclusively to heterosexual relationships. “I don't mind the gay lifestyle but I feel marriage is sacred—specifically for a man and woman and that marriage is placed in high regard in society.” Despite his opposition, Johnson does not object to gay couples obtaining civil unions. “I believe homosexuals deserve to live together with their loved ones and have rights to have joint bank accounts, health plans and things of that nature.”


John Greene, another sophomore student, is also on the opposition end of the gay marriage spectrum. He also represents a different type of student opinion as well. Like several religious people in the country, Greene feels gay marriage violates his religious beliefs. “I oppose gay marriage because I don't think its marriage at all. I believe that marriage is the unification of economical, emotional, and spiritual partnership,” he declares. “Because I am Christian I will follow the Christian belief that gay marriage is wrong. There is no spiritual blessing upon that type of unification and although one may love his/her partner and have made excellent economic and lawful agreements, without that spiritual blessing the "marriage" is incomplete and therefore does not exist.”


One aspect that all four students agreed on was that gay marriage and LGBT issues do not seem to be popularly discussed on campus. Yurkovic’s experiences as GSA’s president are the foundation to his sentiments about the lack of LGBT-rights awareness on campus. “Albright students don’t care about anything but themselves. They don’t look to the greater community,” he states. “With anything, especially pertaining to gays, I wouldn’t see them really caring. Some of their favorite students are gay. It’s not like there aren’t gay people, they just don’t care. Even the gay people at Albright don’t care. “


“I don't think LGBT issues are discussed on Albright's campus often. They should be discussed more because most of the student body has the right to vote and to free speech. Certain things are worth fighting for and rights are important,” Bellamy says.


Greene, like Johnson, rejects the idea of gay rights and issues being widely discussed on campus as well “I personally don't hear much about gay marriage on campus, however it doesn't mean its not important or discussed it could just simply mean I'm not involved enough with topics or programs not relative to my major.”


Another common opinion that the four students share involves the future of gay marriage in America. Despite their differing opinions, they all feel the victory in Washington D.C. foreshadows an eventual legalization of gay marriage across all of America.


“The legalization of gay marriage in D.C will inevitably affect other states simply because our nation’s capital just recognized it. This legalization will more than likely affect other states,” says Greene. Bellamy adds in Johnson’s remarking on the impact of the nation’s capitol landmark legal decision. “I think it could open the possibility for gay marriage in other states because states will model the capitol. The capitol allowing gay marriage is an extremely strong statement and will compel other states to allow gay marriage. It's almost like saying this is the American way.


Johnson and Yurkovic do see complete legalization of gay marriage in America occurring, both remarked that it will be a difficult task to accomplish and that it most likely not happen in the near future. “It could possibly open the possibility of gay marriage for other states but a lot has to change before then,” proclaims Johnson.


It’s going to take a long time. It’s going to take 40-60 years. We are going to have to wait for the old Republican Party to die off. It can happen as long as their aren’t any big conservatives to come out,” says Yurkovic. He also urges his generation and those after to realize the importance of voting. “Our generation doesn’t vote and they don’t know what voting is. In order to get this passed, we have to get the grassroots and we have to get the young people.”


Looking optimistically to the future, Yurkovic also hopes and demands for serious change. “I hope that it passes. But, I hope it passes not being tact on to some type of bill. I want it taken to the Supreme Court and handled federally. Not constitutionally necessary, but I want it written somewhere.”


Bellamy has the same hopes, as she feels nationwide legalization of gay marriage would enhance American society. “If gay marriage were accepted by all states, I’d be extremely excited. The more injustice solved, the better off we are as a country.”


Although, they do not support gay marriage, Johnson and Greene acknowledge that if gay marriage were passed nationwide, there would be no choice but to put their original opinions aside. “My feelings would be that a lot has changed and if the government is willing to legalize it than we ultimately have to accept it,” says Johnson.

Greene takes this a step further: “Although I don't believe that gay marriage exists, I do believe that love exists within the partnership,” he says. “Therefore, I can peacefully accept gay marriage being lawfully recognized in each state.”


Judging by Greene’s honest acknowledgment, perhaps American society is changing—or at least is open to changing.


*Andy Johnson is a fictional name to protect the real source’s name, which he/she requested be reported anonymously.

Click here to watch first gay couples get married and D.C. and more video coverage of D.C. gay marriages (spotted over at Rod 2.o)


No comments:

Post a Comment